Monday, June 16, 2008

We Don't Care Anymore

You know when you get the point that you just don't care anymore? We have a child that specializes in getting us to that point. No course of discipline has even put a dent in my sons persistence armor. If he finds something to be interesting, he is at it full force. Lately, one of his favorite activities is taking a pen out of Mommy's purse and coloring on the wall. Not every wall, just the hallway but it's his own personal art gallery now. For a while I tried to hide my purse, put it up, keep all pens away from him but then he finds some old pencil that was lost behind the couch some how and scribbles away. I just don't care anymore. Today, I handed him a pen and let him loose. We'll cover it up before we move so why not get some peace and quiet now. He seems to love it. From the day we put a pen in his hand he would draw on anything paper (which to me was amazing, I thought usually kids drew on walls first and then paper) but it seems that paper can not contain his artistic expression anymore. I guess that I should be glad that he isn't seeking out paper since my office is a terrible mess. I need a filing cabinet so bad but we really don't have the room to put one. Blast this small place!

We've also given up on him climbing the furniture. I watch him at other peoples houses but I can't get him to stop at our house and I don't care anymore. He fell down pretty good yesterday and bumped his head hard but he didn't climb for an hour or two so I guess he is just a kid that has to figure things out for himself. It used to be when I'd make food for us, something hot would need to cool but he's an instant gratification kind of person and he needed to eat right then. I wouldn't allow it so he's slap at my food and get his hand covered in too hot something. I avoided it for months before but after burning himself a time or two, he blows on his food nicely and tests it out before putting it in his mouth. I wish he would listen to me but there is no changing him. I do get how he must be feeling seeing as I was quite the opinionated child and I'm sure I gave my parents a run for their money. We reevaluated our boundaries and we're all much happier and more well behaved. Now that he knows he can explore what I would tell him no or redirect him away from, he is trying several new things and ending up with bumps and bruises. He's a tough kid though and isn't doing most of those things anymore. He is by no means calm and he still tears everything apart but he's not fearless, thank goodness.

3 comments:

simplyso said...

You gave me a good laugh this morning...thank you!!! Seems like this little fellow has to learn the hard way but he does learn. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Guess he didn't get just his good looks from his Mama!

Serene is my name, not my life! said...

Hahaha! It nice to know I'm not the only one with a son like that! Sounds like he and Joseph would be best buds!

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about picking your battles with these toddlers. I have to let Izzy get away with some things as long as no one gets hurt. Oh and what you mean about fillinf your gas tank slowly? How you do that?