Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Our DC Trip!

We had such a good time in DC with my sister and her family. The best part about going on "vacation" to visit family is that there isn't any stress to do the tourist stuff and no pressure to keep a schedule. Our days were filled with the park, playing with babies and Dr. Mario competitions, eating too much, going shopping with screaming kids, sneaking away for time as adults and changing diapers. Getting to know Penny's kids is so special to me and I'm so thankful we got to stay for a while. Annie is a little pistol with a screech that could wake the dead, Alex is a smart little man that will serenade anyone with Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star and randomly bust out with the word Corn when he can't find the word he wants. Annie has an engaging little laugh and the sweetest dimples, Alex loves his trains and wants to tell you all about the world of Thomas and his friends. Super fit right in with this own destruction and loved playing with his cousins.

Penny took me out for a birthday dinner of never ending crab legs and yummy seafood, we watched a hilarious movie and got dressed up together (something we haven't done in YEARS). We went on Slurpee run after Slurpee run, I couldn't' get enough since we don't have 7-11's in GA.

Picture time!



Pumpkin Carving


Horsey Back Rides


Swinging at the Park


(I LOVE this picture of us)





Climbing Fences


Being Cute


Going on the "Weee" Slide


Making Funny Faces
Poor Penny got sick one of the days we were there but I got a chance to serve my sister and I couldn't have been happier. Cleaning her house, doing her laundry, cooking dinner, serving her soup in bed and playing with her kids makes me feel closer to her and I'm thankful she got to really rest when she didn't feel well. It also gave me a chance to hang out with my brother in law, Shaun, whom I've know for 10 years but don't get to spend time with often without a lot of family around. We got to work together to keep the house going and I'm glad we got to do our own hanging out.
I also got to see my friend Laura! It was for only an hour but I haven't seen her since before Danny and I got engaged. She caught the Metro from MD to VA and she got to meet Super (who wasn't even an idea the last time I saw her), we had lunch and froze in the windy cold playing at a park. Certain circumstances put a damper on the visit but as true friends do, she totally understood and I'm so thankful for her. It was just nice to see her in person and to pick up where we left off (she left for Costa Rica right before Danny popped the question in 2005). Hopefully the next visit will be longer and easier (and not as cold) but there is always the phone and email until that day comes.
For everyone that made my trip possible (including the encouragement from a great friend), I thank you. We all know I needed a trip to de-stress and today I feel lighter, happier and like a better mother. Also, I read the best book How to Make your Children Mind Without Losing Yours and it works. If you are a mom, read this book. I started using his suggestions and noticed a big change in Super and I love it. More pictures of the trip will surface as we organize everything (Penny, I love that your camera is in constant use and I want to emulate that) and I cant wait to share more.









1 comment:

simplyso said...

Nothing like a change of scene to get a fresh perspective on life.