Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Sweet Confusion

I'm having a blast teaching Hunter to talk right now. He is at that point where whatever he hears goes right into his head and sticks. We kill lots of time by going around the house, pointing and naming things and he is really talking up a storm. There is one thing that frustrates me though. For a while now, I've tried to...not teach Super about money... but what money is... coins, right? When I make a purchase, I'll give him the change and tell him to put it in his pocket so it can go in the Froggy Bank when we get home. He loves taking all of the coins out and putting them back in. We have spent hours emptying and filling up that bank. However, there was a spot of confusion. Instead of calling coins by their name, he calls them pockets. I found this adorable! Until he decided that should be the name for those small metal discs. He knows the words quarter, penny, dime and coin but will he use them? Noooo. No matter what, whenever I try to prompt him the first thing out of his mouth is "pocket!" (it is still especially cute when he finds a penny in the street and shouts his exclamation for the world to hear, they just don't understand what he's talking about) I know he'll figure it out sooner or later. He tends to make up his own words for things but what kid doesn't? My mother still laughs because for some reason, as children, we called molasses "bin-ah-kee-ears" (I would have no idea how to correctly spell our made up word). Now I'm a little worried about what he's going to call his actual pocket...

1 comment:

pennylutz said...

I hope he makes lots and lots of pockets when he grows up,