Thursday, May 29, 2008

Alton Brown is my Guru

I love to cook. My food is still hit-or-miss at times but I love trying new things and my guiding light is Alton Brown. Weither it's Good Eats or Iron Chef America, I always learn something new from him. He has a way of explaining things that makes sense. I don't mind having faith in what a cookbook tells me to add but when a reason is given and what the general reaction of the element is, I'm more open to using the ingredient. He is the one person that I'll recommend any cook to look up if they need a good recipe or some information on a certain food. Mr. Brown is also a local here in Atlanta and I'm DYING to run into him one day (I'm so close to stalking the Whole Foods and Harry's Farmers Markets). He is second on my celebrity obsession list only to my first crush, Joel McHale (we'll get into that on another day...watch The Soup!).


I know, I know, my celebrity interests are a little unorthodox but I love a funny man or a funny, intellectual man that can COOK. Everytime I see Good Eats come on TV, I become a zombie... must learn about corn starch... must learn 13 ways to cook an egg... how to make cream based sauces.... I can't get enough of this stuff. I also learned that when I cook, my food tastes better when I wear my apron. I know that sounds lame but putting that piece of cloth on makes me feel like a better cook so I'll become a better cook. I'm mostly a homemaker and with everything I deal with, I don't know why the apron has fallen out of popularity with my generation. You can be messy without getting messy! There is always a place to wipe your hands and if you're too lazy to put on clothes, it's super sexy to cook in! The one I purchased covers my chest and goes down past my knees with two pockets on the front. The pockets alone make this thing worth it for me (especially when taking Supers toys to time out).

Last Saturday night we made Japanese White Sauce and if you've never had it, it's SO good. MassageMama showed me the website when she came down last month to visit and I'm so happy I got to make it again. It's mostly mayonaise so it's not a sauce you should make on a regular basis (unless you don't have to worry about that kind of thing) but I highly recommend trying it with some zucchini and onions sauteed in soy sauce. I wish we had the room to entertain large numbers of people in our home so I could share it with everyone.

1 comment:

Sara Lyn said...

That white sauce looks yummy. Have you ever heard of The Pioneer Woman? Check out www.thepioneerwoman.com. I think you'll enjoy. Part of her site is devoted to cooking and everything I've made of hers has been the hugest hit! Oh, yummy!