Wednesday, September 10, 2008

He's Too Dang Smart

Never turn your back on a toddler, they'll never cease to surprise you. After an unusually late trip to Target for diapers and other essentials, me and Super came home and I got him out of the car and into the house. Having to return back to the car to get the next load of stuff, I was thinking to myself what a nice trip we had and how much I was looking forward to reading some more of my book (that'll be another blog). I reached out and turned the door knob and gave a slight push... nothing happened. I put down my packages and tried to push harder, know that our door sticks sometimes... nope. I was locked out of the house by my son.

I knocked on the door to see if I could get him to undo the damage. But hearing my knock and my voice calling from the other side of the door just caused him to panic a bit. Moving to a window, I beckoned him over to try to calm him down through the window. After a few minutes of coaxing him to the window and pointing to the lock, he was more uneasy and had himself a good cry. But neither of us gave up. A few more minutes later and I was able to talk to him enough and gesture enough that my big boy understood what to do and unlocked the window. Two seconds later I was back in the house with a new vow to never leave without my keys attached to me in some way. I've heard of other children doing this on a regular basis and I'm so thankful my son was able to do what was needed to do to help me back inside. Hopefully this experience won't teach him to get out on his own through that window. Cross your fingers for me!

1 comment:

simplyso said...

Yea....I wonder if the little bugger did it on purpose. He's smart all right. Better get a couple sets of keys!!! LOL