Thursday, March 27, 2008

I Have Tasted Fear

We're having a lazy day at home. Just blogging and reading, playing video games, twirling the boy around, playing hide and seek, etc. It's gorgeous out so we leave the front door open. We have gates so it's okay if he wanders on the porch. Our biggest concern is that he throws stuff over the sides, not that he might get out. One of the gates is leaning but we didn't think he had the dexterity to move it without causing it to fall. We were so wrong.

Our kid is stealthy. He managed to pull back the loose gate and slip out of it without knocking it over or making a sound. Danny asked me if I had him and when I said no, panic set in. I bolted out of the house and ran down the hill, screaming his name, trying to get anyone outside to help find him. Danny looked throughout the house just in case he was still playing hide and seek then ran up the hill to cover more ground. By God's grace we found him unharmed. A woman found him wandering around upset and pulled him out of the parking lot/street. We live in a busy complex right near a blind corner of road that people usually fly around. Adrenaline is a powerful thing. I felt nothing as I sprinted up and down hills that I normally huff and puff on while I walk and I already know that I'm going to be in pain tomorrow from my bare feet on pavement. It wasn't more than 4-5 minutes from beginning to end of the whole ordeal but those were some of the most agonizing moments of my life.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

OMG that is scary as shit Sheri! Glad to know Hunter was a-ok.

Anonymous said...

OMG that is scary as shit Sheri! Glad to know Hunter was a-ok.

Sheri and her Men said...

Thanks Karen! He didn't know anything different, just that he had to let Mommy hold him tight for a few minutes. I now have shin splints and I'm in so much pain. We now have the entire porch reenforced.