Saturday, March 22, 2008

Ok, Seriously?

So, Grout Daddy and I went to Target on a Friday evening to get the standard baby items (and so I can indulge my Starbucks addiction). It's a nice trip and as we're leaving the parking lot, we get eyed by a cop. Grout Daddy being the way he is looks at said cop suspiciously for a split second as we're pulling onto the road. It's rush hour so there is a ton of crazy people on this very popular highway and it's super busy. This guy turns around and starts to follow us (although I was completely oblivious to the whole thing).

Here is what I did. I turned left out of the parking lot (at a light with a green arrow) and I get into the right lane (no one from the opposite direction was coming). I'm driving along and I ease into the right turning lane and turn right (at a light with a green arrow). Instead of going directly into the right lane, since no one was really anywhere around me, I just eased into the left lane. Anyone that has ever driven with me know, I'm so ultra paranoid. I trust myself to drive carefully, it's the other 100 million other nutso vehicles that I'm scared of. Even Grout Daddy can't drive without me holding onto the door and closing my eyes during the scary parts. Anyway, we're sitting at a red light and I see Mr. Cop behind us but I don't care because for the most part, I trust cops to do what they need to to keep everyone as safe as possible. The light turns green and I haven't moved more than 20ft and the blue lights start flashing! Ooookaaayyy. I pulled over into a parking lot and prepared to hear what I had done wrong. I couldn't be speeding, I didn't cut anyone off, I didn't change lanes erratically. Hmmm? So, Mr. Long Arm of the Law comes and tells me that he pulled me over for not using my turn signals! Seriously? It's rush hour traffic! You can't use turn signals or no one will EVER let you get over. It's Atlanta, land of the uber entitled driver, if you put your signals on and someone is 50ft behind you in the lane you want to go in, they will step on their gas as hard as they can to avoid letting you in front of them, even if it's just for a few moments until you can get in the next lane over.

He asks for my license and for Grout Daddys! What? He isn't driving! What the hell does he have to do with me not using my signals! Then he peeks in the back at SuperDestroyer and asks us if he's our baby. Seriously? Does he think I stole this baby from Target? He's a spitting image of me and G-Daddy. So, he goes and runs our licenses and brings them back to us and tells me to use my turn signals from now on. Me, being the citizen I am and being plagued by the occasional mommy brain, I asked if I put anyone in danger. I got some pithy come back that I must ALWAYS use my signals even if I didn't put someone in danger. Ok, look Cop Asshole, I just want to make sure I didn't almost hit someone and not realize it.

What the heck! I use my turn signals when they are appropriate or needed. Why aren't these cops pulling people over for the jerkbags that are coming your direction when you're trying to make a left turn and turn right next to you! I just want to scream (and usually do) I could have gone stupid! Now the road isn't clear anymore and I'm going to have to wait another 3 minutes until it's safe for me to go.

Word from the wise, don't look at cops funny or they will come after you, they will think you stole your baby and bitch at you for not using a right turn signal when you're in a right turning lane with a green right turn arrow.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Forget gangs, crime, drug deals, because there is not any of that in ATL right? Gotta make sure they get the bad guys that dont use their turning signals when no one is around. You've been served by the law! lol