Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Scariest Moment of My Life... So Far

Yet again Super has managed to stop my heart for a few seconds. We were driving to a friends house and on the way there I kept hearing wind in my car. I thought that maybe I just didn't close my passenger door all the way and it would be fine for 5 minutes until we got to our destination. We purchased a new car seat not long ago so mostly I watch Hunter to make sure he hasn't gotten out since it isn't a 5 point harness and he is Houdini reincarnated. My vehicle has automatic locks so I never thought in a million years that my 2 year old would be able to figure them out. Most adults just look at me with confusion when my car doesn't let them out and I guess I had a false sense of safety.

So we are driving down I-285, I'm on the phone, I hear wind... no big deal. After I go up the off ramp and stop, I hear more than wind, I hear cars and motors. I turned around, dropped my phone and yelled like crazy when my sons door was wide open! With him trying to get out! On the edge of a very high hill. We were in the middle of rush hour and there were 20 cars lined up behind me. No one stopped, they just tried to avoid hitting me as they zoomed around my car with me in a panic because my son put himself in grave peril... again. I'm sure the door just swung open because of the angle the car was at after he managed to unlock the door and pulled the handle but that doesn't stop the surge of adrenaline and the sudden mommy single mindedness to protect my child as I dodge traffic to close his door. I know I'm not alone out there and that this has happened to several other people and this is the reason they invented child safety locks (which were promptly put into place before I allowed Hunter out of the car).

I'm thankful I had to go through this if it was the warning I needed to prevent something worse in the future but, jeez kid!, just read a book or play with the 15 different toys you insist on being back there. Mommy doesn't need a heart attack in her 20's.

No comments: