Sunday, April 27, 2008

Grrr Toddlers

I know my blogs have been really pessimistic lately. They are probably going to be that way for a few more weeks until I'm finally done with smoking (coffee is gone, whoo hoo, well at least the driving need to have one everyday, Karen promised me one and I'm so taking it). Cold turkey didn't work this time but I can quit cold turkey everyday if I have to (it worked for coffee). A wise lady once told me "You only fail if you give up trying" and those are words I believe I should live by. I'm so happy that Grout Daddy is on board with me, I know I couldn't do this without him.

So, I'm not loving this adventure in to Crankytown with Super. I love watching him learn and grow but this attitude he's developed lately...I have a new respect for the parents with strong willed children that are able to deal with this without mangling their child. He is so cute when we sit together at the computer and play the ABC Zoo game or talk to MassageGrandma and Big Sis. I think that by me allowing him to press the keys so he can see different letters, it has led my child to believe that he is proficient in computers. A few weeks ago, he somehow managed to turn off our copy/paste function. How on earth did he do that! It took two seconds to happen, how long can it take to get it back, right? After about two weeks, we gave up trying. I don't know if he got to the computer again but it's magically back. He also likes to walk up next to you when you're composing an email or a blog and press the big button on the front of the computer. Yeah! Then he enjoys emptying his bottle onto the keyboard. He would rather be dehydrated than use a sippy/straw/water bottle/regular cup but once he isn't thirsty anymore, he likes to press the tip of the bottle down gently on something so little dots of milk come out. Do that 30-50 times and he has a nice little puddle to splash around in. Q-Tips can only get so much, my keyboard stinks so bad.

Yesterday, he dropped our computer mouse into a large cup of water. Nice! Now after two trips to the store to find something that actually worked for us, we have a new mouse and I HATE IT! If I don't use it for a certain number of minutes, I have to re-link them by pressing tiny little buttons on the bottom of the mouse and the receiver. He sees this new addition to our computer so what is the only thing in the house that he has any desire to play with (besides the trash can)? Why oh why can't my kid be interested in the books that we read, or coloring without eating the crayons, or singing songs and going to the park? Why must he play with our PS3 and computer. Why must he get into the trash, laundry, cabinets and toilet!?! No matter how goofy we're acting, after 5-10 minutes, he's off to destroy something else. Don't get me started on how much he likes the dishwasher.

And, tell me this, how is it that he WON'T convey that he is thirsty (he will bring us his bottle 30% of the time or so) and will cry until we figure it out (even if there is a bottle in plain view) but he will turn on the TV right after we turn it off when it's time for bed? How does he know how to work a remote control? We really don't watch a lot of TV anymore so how would he learn the buttons to press to turn everything on (or off). If something is too loud, he even knows how to mute it. Oy vey!

I will say, it's so cute when I pick him up and hear "a.....a.....a....g....e" when he wants to sing the ABC song. Or when we identify our mouths and noses. He dances to Seasame Street and SuperWhy. I love those super tight little hugs I get when he wraps his arms around my neck or gets jealous when Grout Daddy kisses me and must kiss me too. His funny little giggles and playing chase and hide and seek. I love that little snot no matter how much I complain about him. Now that I've got this vent off my chest, I really wish I could go pick him up out of his bed and give him a hug and kiss.

1 comment:

Sara Lyn said...

Expensive toys are much more fun than cheap ones. Ask any man. :)