Thursday, April 10, 2008

I'll Miss You MassageMama!

I just dropped my mother off at the airport after our quick 2 day visit and I'm going to miss her like crazy. I'm lucky enough to have a husband that really "gets" me. I have a weird little mind that is tangent crazy and some of the time I can be very hard to follow. However, when you're with family that helped shape your mind, it's really refreshing to be able to talk to someone, completely change directions in mid-conversation and have them know exactly what you're talking about and to have them right there next to you.

For example: Last night we were enjoying the great weather out on our deck. Mom and I were chatting about sewing machines and I mentioned that I didn't have a proper table to put one on. She told me that I can get around that and Big Sis does her sewing on the floor because it's easier for her. So I go right into a story about this girl in India that doesn't have any arms but is still able to help her family make money by working in a sweat shop and uses her mouth/tongue to thread the needles and her chin/neck to turn the crank to make the machine work (I saw her on Ripley's). Grout Daddy just looked bewildered and had no idea where this came from but MassageMama with right there with me in the conversation. I went from me sewing to Big Sis sewing on the floor to poor girl in India that sews on the floor but doesn't have arms to I can sew on the floor if she can... time to not pity myself for not having a proper sewing table. Ta-da!

This applies to almost everything. Cooking, shopping, working out... I always forget what it like to be with my family when they're not around. My sibs are the same way, we're all different and special in our individual ways but put us together and we can make MassageMama laugh so hard she cries. It's nothing extraordinarily funny but it is because we "get" each other and she understands how all of our minds work because she helped to install the buttons.

Another wonderful part of Grout Daddy is that he has enormous patience and can explain things to me better than most people. But there is nothing like learning a lesson from someone that actually taught you how to read, write, tie the shoes, talk, walk, sing and dance. MassageMama gave me my first racquetball lessons! I can't wait to play again! I always watched people at the gym and always figured it for a somewhat random game. Yeah, balls bounce off walls and you have to hit them, right? Ohhhh noooo. My superior way of thinking was completely shot down the tubes by my mom kicking my butt up and down that court. She was super encouraging and I feel like I made some great progress (especially for never playing before) but she practically skipped off the court while I dragged my loser behind out. Don't feel too bad for me, she is an amazing woman and I hope to have even half of the physical stamina that she does.

SuperDestroyer is also going to miss having MassageGranny around. Kids really know when someone genuinely loves them and he really responded to her. He loves to eat and she loves to feed him. Heck, she gave him half of Clif bar and he was over the moon with her. She got quite the fond "Grandma, where are you and mommy going? I miss you, come back, come BACK!" farewell as we were heading out to the airport. We're so looking forward to our trip to Florida next month. The whole family is getting together and it's going to be a mad house!

MassageMama, we can't wait until you can visit again. Thanks for spoiling all of us (me)!

No comments: