Monday, April 7, 2008

My Mom is Coming to Visit!

Yeah!!! I haven't seen her in months and she'll be here tomorrow evening to play for a few days! I was severely jealous when she went to visit Big Sis last week and I could barely get one of them on the phone.

Mom is a very outdoorsy type and I love it (that's probably were I get my itch to be outside as well), if the weather is nice I know she'd be down for a walk to the park and a pit stop at my favorite Starbucks. She's also going to teach me how to play racquetball! I remember being a kid and going with my parents to the park. They'd put on all their gear and start whacking these balls around while we peeked through the small spaces near the floor. We'd even draw faces on the exploded racquetballs and make them talk to each other (don't judge, I was 7 and that is normal).

I fondly remember how active my parents were when we were small children and now that I have Grout Daddy on board fitness wise, we may even be able to do some of the fun things like I did when I was little. Both of my parents were really into cycling and they'd join these big road trips of cyclists. They'd pack me and Big Sis (sorry Little Bro, I can't remember if you were there yet or not) in the car and we take off. One parent would drive, one would cycle and they'd switch when the time was right. We'd get junk food and biker snacks while we watch everyone truckin' along in all kinds of different weather conditions. Then you camp out in a tent, eat more yummy food and snuggle down in anticipation of the next day. It was Florida so it was never really that cold but I do remember a school allowing all of the hundreds of people to camp out on their grass for a night. A very distinct memory is that we had to shower in FREEZING cold water. The men's showers had hot water but we didn't so my dad came out all happy, clean and warm and me and my sis came out grouchy, cold and probably with a little bit of shampoo and conditioner still in our hair.

I wish Atlanta was more cycle friendly. I know I get annoyed when I'm driving and some moron is in the middle of the road but I can't help but feel some love towards the men and women in all spandex, swiftly moving up and down the hills around us. So keep on! those of you not afraid to brave the streets of my fair city. I pray that nothing bad happens to you when you head around a blind corner and straight into an intersection when you're going down hill and the weather suddenly changes and some jerk bag just sharply cut in front of you because of their entitlement issues.

Wait, wasn't this about my mom. Whoo hoo! She's coming! I'll see you tomorrow, Lady! Be prepared because this is going to be interesting with a very active toddler who has entitlement issues of his own.

No comments: