Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Is It That Hard?

I'm a lucky lady. I have Grout Daddy that loves me and will do just about anything to keep me happy. He takes care of the boy without asking me a million stupid questions, he rubs my feet almost every night, he puts the toilet seat down and gets me Starbucks when I'm being a cranky pants. I love that part of our marriage is driven by the desire to please one another. We go out of our ways to make it easier for the other person and even though we're not perfect, we're really perfect together.

However, there are a few things that I didn't realize needed special training (especially since I've apparently had this advanced lesson). The paper towel dispenser is quite complicated, refilling it is even worse. As are the lids on our canisters, the laundry basket and the towel rack . Our zillion button remote he learns in 5 minutes but can't remember how to start a load of laundry. Oh, and I think he's allergic to putting things in the trash can.


How does one pass on the complicated knowledge of making the bed, putting dishes in the sink or sweeping the floor onto the next generation? Super is too young at this age to start doing chores but I want him (and future sibs) entering the world in years to come knowing how to close dresser drawers, empty the trash when I gets full, cooking dinner a few nights a week and sweeping the floor. Or maybe cleaning up the spilled milk that dripped on the floor when *someone* was drinking out of the jug and didn't notice the dribble (or maybe they did) and it sat on the floor until it became goo. I'm not saying anything though. I hope my SuperDestroyer picks up some of his Cousin Tiny Tots traits and starts doing chores at the age of two. I won't be holding my breath but really, when is a good age to start that?

No comments: